Updated: May 1, 2020
This is a fresh, tasty alternative to an omelette, or a naturally gluten free quiche as there’s no pastry!
I have used vegetables that I had in the fridge, but you can use whatever you have. I also have wild garlic growing in my garden, but you can use spinach instead, be aware, however that spinach can be a bit wet, so may make your frittata a bit soggy if you use too much!
I cooked mine in the oven, but it works really well by putting it under a grill for 10 minutes too- not too close to the grill as it will burn before it is cooked through.
1-2 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 large leek, cleaned and sliced
1 red onion, peeled, halved and sliced
1/2 red pepper, halved, reseeded and sliced
50g wild garlic, stalks removed washed and shredded
6 eggs, beaten together
Salt and pepper
* Pre-heat a fan oven to 180C
* Start by heating a 24cm non-stick oven proof frying pan over a medium heat with all of the butter and 1 tbsp oil.
* Add the leek, red onion and pepper, cook gently for 10 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
* Add the wild garlic and cook until it has wilted.
* Add another tablespoonful of oil and then add in the eggs, stir them through the vegetables and cook until the eggs begin to set on the bottom of the pan.
* Place the pan in the oven and cook for 10 minutes until it is puffed up and golden.
* Carefully remove from the oven and leave to sit for a minute. Leave oven gloves or a tea towel on the handle so you are not in danger of picking it up and burning your hand!
* Gently go around the frittata with a spatula/palette knife to make sure it hasn’t stuck.
* Turn out onto a plate and serve immediately