Ali Bilton • Jan 23, 2020
Such a fab dinner, and definitely worth the effort. It's easy to dress this up as well with some nicer vegetables. It's great to freeze too, so it's easy for a mid-week dinner.
For the crumble
75g plain flour
100g butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
75g fresh breadcrumbs
50g blanched hazelnuts, roughly chopped
30g grated Parmesan
60g grated mature cheddar
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper
For the filling
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
400g leeks, trimmed, washed and cut into 2 cm slices
450g chicken thighs, cut into bite sized chunks
250ml medium dry cider
40g plain flour
400ml full fat milk
1 ½ tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp Double cream
- Melt 15g of the butter and all of the oil in a large deep frying pan with a lid. Add the leeks and cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes until soft
- Turn up the heat and add the chicken pieces, cook for 5 more minutes stirring frequently.
- Add 2 tbsp of the cider, turn down the heat cover and cook gently for a further 5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the leeks are soft.
- Remove the lid and add the remaining 40g butter, allow to melt , lift off the heat then add the flour, stir through.
- Return to the heat and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from the heat again, slowly add the remaining cider and milk. Mix in well until the sauce is smooth
Return to the heat and cook over a medium to high heat until the sauce comes to the boil. Turn down the heat and cook simmering and stir continuously for 3 minutes.
- Add the mustard and double cream, season to taste.
- Pour into a serving dish, allow to cool.
- Heat the oven to 180C
- To make the crumble, place the flour in a large mixing bowl, add the butter and rub in until it starts to form lumps.
- Stir in the breadcrumbs, hazelnuts, Parmesan, cheddar and chopped parsley. Season lightly with salt, but generously with black pepper.
- Spoon the crumble over the cooled chicken mixture.
- Place in the preheated oven and cook for 30 minutes until the top is golden brown. Serve immediately.
To freeze, freeze the filling and the crumble topping separately and then sprinkle the crumble on top after defrosting and then cook as per instructions above.